One of my dreams has always been to start my own business. Now, I’m taking the plunge and starting with freelance Salesforce consulting work. If you’re interested in hiring me, please contact me on LinkedIn.
Writing those words evoked feelings of excitement, dread, and relief. Excitement for new challenges, new opportunities, expanding my professional reach, and other things. Dread for what if I fail, how will I get clients, and other uncertainties. Relief since I’ve been confiding this in friends, family, and colleagues even though I’ve wanted to share this publicly for months and now I am.
- Incorporate. My plan is to incorporate as an S-Corp mainly for the Self-Employment Tax benefits despite the additional overhead compared to an LLC at first. Long term, if the business grows and outside investment is needed, it’s easier to get investors.
- Clients. Grow the customer base.
- New Equipment. Get new equipment such as a laptop and chair, since I’ll be working from home.
- Website Enhancements. My company name will be Metillium and this website will serve as the company website and a blog. This will be done over the coming months.
- Amanda, my wife, for being so supportive, helping me realize I can do this, and bouncing so many ideas off of you. Also, for the kick in the pants to stop talking about it and “Do It!”. Love you!
- NimbleUser for being a great place to work. The collaborative, high-quality work, excellent employees, and mentors have helped me grow tremendously in various ways in the last 5 years.
- My other colleagues, mentors, professors, and others that have helped me over the years.
How did you take your plunge? What emotions were felt? Any advice for someone starting out?